Thursday, April 8, 2021

Power Grip tool.

 

this tool is about 5.5" in length, from maker Mikisyo

I didn't hear anyone talking Power Grip, except on a lino-carving blog. Actually, the article Choosing the Best ... was pretty interesting, and I appreciated the reviews of several types of carving tools. And this tool is fairly inexpensive - I picked it up on Amazon for about $10. 

The first thing I didn't care for was the handle - it looks nice, as you can see from the pic, but it is slick. If I held it like a pencil, my fingers slid toward the blade. If I held it overhand, the metal end is too short to place my index finger in a good position for control. Further, when I tried to rock it, say for coming up in a tight corner, the wood handle impeded movement. It definitely would have been better if the blade was bent a bit, and longer, for better maneuverability. Finally, I just couldn't get smooth cut results with this tool, and had to do a LOT of cleanup.

Here are a couple of shots of the tool. It is 1.5mm v-gouge, and it seems to be shaped similar to a Staedtler, where the bottom of the 'v' is farther back than the tips of the 'flanges' or sides. Also, the spread is good - not too wide, so it must be a 45 degree spread.

topside of blade

backside of blade

This tool may be great for lino or woodcarving, but I just couldn't control the cuts as much as I like. 

In the example below, I carved one with the Power Grip tool and the other with Flexcut palm tools. I could definitely get more fine detail and control with the Flexcut tools - without question. And much less cleanup.

this pic looks like the pink stuff, 
but it is not - it is scrap bits of PZ (B)


But here is where the rubber hits the road, so to speak - 
on the left is the Power Grip effort, and on the right is with Flexcut
(ink: Marvy Matchables dye ink)

So, there it is. I would give it a thumbs up on price and looks, but a thumbs down on performance.




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin