Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Product Review: Firm Kut

Master Qui-Gon, carved with Firm Kut carving material
measures 2.5" x 3.5"

I have just had the opportunity to carve some of the new so-called Mystery Material, aptly named Firm Kut. It is offered from our friend Webfoot, and I am pleased to say that I like it quite a lot.

Characteristics:
white, just like PZ Kut White
a little bit stiffer/firmer than the PZ Kut white, closer to the Orange in stiffness
not stringy, rubbery, crumbly or waxy
fine lines are definitely not an issue
pencil transfer'd well
good printing with no beading, although I did sand (prep) the surface prior to carving with 600 grit sandpaper

Bottom line:
I really like this material, and I would imagine most gouge carvers are going to like it, as well. It carves smooth, I was able to get fine lines with no trouble and stamps well with both dye and waterproof ink. I did needle and knife through it a bit, but it's not releasing the material as easy as I would like.

I am very pleased with the Firm Kut - it is a more than suitable replacement for the PZ, in my opinion. And, I am picky. It's not exact, but it is scary close. It's hard to describe; it is a bit firmer than regular PZ, but you can still push it around a bit with your gouge, as well as cut a (perpendicular) groove up to a line and have it just break off for you - just as we would like.

stamp measures 1.25" x .5"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Liz for posting this. I was curious what you thought about Firm Kut. I am half way done with a fairly large (for me) stamp using Firm Kut. I am pleased with my results so far. Hope to have it done soon so I can do some stamping. : )
Ona Journey-MJ

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

MJ, when you are done, I'd love to see your efforts :-)

Webfoot said...

Your description is very clear and helpful. Thank you!! I have seen a few other comments about the material's reluctance to release for knife and carvers. Formula tweaks to try and address this issue are in process, while trying to keep the nice feel for gouge carvers. We'll see how those efforts progress!

In the meantime, may I borrow your light saber to cut the big sheets into blocks?? Or maybe you could come to my house with a team of Jedi knights for a slicing party! I think that may be the ultimate solution, don't you? :)

Webfoot

Webfoot said...

Er... that should be 'knife and needle carvers'. LOL! That's what I get for trying to edit the original sentence so that it read better! D'oh!

Webfoot

Mama Cache said...

I'm one of those needle carvers who thinks the little carved bits have a strong affinity for their original position. (Hey, I don't like change either!) ;-)

However, I really like the way Firm Kut carves and stamps. The texture of the material allows for super- smooth carved edges, and finer-than-hair slivers can be trimmed away. Sweet!

It's a great product, certainly my product of choice for gouge carving.

I am also determined to tweak my own technique until I can find a way to remove the bits I've cut away more easily.

Mama Cache said...

Oh, man . . . I totally neglected Qui-Gon in my comment!

I sure hope that neither you nor he feels slighted by the focus on that which bears his image! There is so much expression there!

So, is he available?

Umm . . . I mean . . . he measures 2.5 x 3.5 . . . he could fit on an LTC . . . *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I ordered Firm Kut and I was wondering how it compared to PZ Cut. Can't wait to get it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin