Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Ramelson micro 1.5mm carving tool.

 Another U.S.-made tool arrived in the mail today. This time its the Ramelson micro carving tool, 1.5mm. 


I had no problems carving with this tool at all. Held overhand, it easily cut smooth curves, just as described:

"This micro carving tool from Ramelson USA® is ideal for carving fine detail into wood, metal clay, polymer clay and other materials. Gouge edge is curved for carving hollows, rounds and sweeping curves. Tempered and pre-sharpened for a durable and proper profiled edge. The round handle is made of white birch wood for a fine and uniform texture." source: Fire Mountain Gems & Beads

too bad, the name wasn't emblazoned on the handle,
like in the catalog photo :(


As you may be able to see, it is a bit lower on the right edge than the left. Although skeptical at first, I found it to be helpful for carving the inside of curves. I really could see where I was 'going' with this tool. 

For a test, I carved this little happy guy:

Ramelson test on PZ (B), Distress Ink (Shabby Shutters green)

There was no struggle to get smooth lines, nor a lot of 'fixing' of bobbles. With practice, I could see where this tool might become a go-to for small details. I am happy to add this tool to my carving arsenal. And, it didn't break the bank at $15 plus shipping (there was a set of 4 micro tools for $45, but I am not sure I would use all the tools in the set). I would definitely recommend this particular tool.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin