Sunday, September 4, 2022

Easy DIY logbooks.


I have been meaning to post about logbooks for a bit now, and a recent thread on Facebook just nudged me into actually making it happen. Of course, there are many truly 'easy' logbooks, namely those that you simply purchase from any discount store (i.e., small spiral-bound, lined notebooks) - no assembly required! But I prefer logbooks that have more substantial pages than lined notebook paper. Plus, I have an absolute ton of printed cardstock craft paper that I have collected over the years, which makes great covers for cute little matchbook logbooks.

First I cut the cover to 6" x 2". Typically, I am making a handful in preparation for a day of letterbox planting.


Next, I like to use the higher quality copy paper from Costco (24 lb) that comes in ream-and-a-half packages. I will take five sheets and cut them into 2.5" strips lengthwise.


That gives me 3 strips. I will only need 2 strips for one matchbook logbook.


Cut those 2 strips into 2" sections - that gives you 50 pages for your logbook. More than enough!



Stack those up and set them aside for a minute. Go back to your cover and fold two creases at 3/4" and 1" measurements as shown below.


Now take your stack of pages and position them inside your cover as shown.



Then, position your logbook in the heavy duty stapler. You will only need one centered staple.



At this point I fold the cover to match the bottom of the pages and crease at the backside and then manipulate it to fold on the front. 


The bottom flap is usually a bit long to snug under the top flap, so I snip off a bit to give it a nice, easy fit.


And that's it - a little 2" x 2.5", 50-page logbook to fit most letterboxes. I will add that these provide about a 2" x 2" space on each page for finders to add their sig-stamp (or whatever). Those with larger sig-stamps would not be able to imprint their entire stamp on a page.


I also make other types of logbooks, depending on my mood or purpose. For 'rescue' logbooks to add to ailing letterboxes, I carry thinner logbooks like some of these below. I use a brochure stapler to make easy logbooks by simply folding paper and stapling into the crease. The downside to these is that you can only use a few pages (no more than 10, for sure), which gives you a logbook with 20 pages. That is adequate for a rescue logbook, I think; just enough to suffice until the owner can do proper maintenance.

brochure stapler

I add washi tape just to make them look nice :)

A comparison of the brochure-style
and the matchbook logbook

I also own a Bind-It-All that was gifted to me by a friend leaving the hobby; I mostly use these Bind-It-All notebooks for planting notes because they are small, the pages are easy to access/turn, and I can slip them into my pocket easily. Using the Bind-It-All is easy, quick, and the notebooks look nice and neat. In the photo below, I have a 2" x 3" Bind-It-All notebook next to the matchbook logbook for comparison. I do think the matchbook style takes up less room in a letterbox (although you can make them any size you prefer).


Finally, just for fun, I carved a few different sizes of logbook stamps to adorn my homemade logbooks. The largest is just under 2" across, the middle (my latest carve) is 1.5", and the smallest is under an inch across. That tiny one is intended for microboxes; I like to use film canisters with scrolls for logbooks and this little stamp is perfect.


Well, that's it - several of the different ways I create logbooks for my letterboxes. There are many, many creative ways to make logbooks, and I always admire those boxers that really shine in this area. Years ago, I dabbled in making small books with hard covers and sewing in the pages - they are super cool. But I was making them for postals knowing they were not going to be left in the wild. I would be hesitant to put a book like that out in a trail letterbox ... they just take too much effort! I have seen some logs that use the punch of a Bind-It-All or a comb binder and then, instead of inserting an Owire or a plastic comb, they lace the pages together with ribbon. This is very clever and effective, but I have not tried it yet. I also own a comb binder, but I don't find it convenient for letterboxing purposes - I don't really like how the pages turn with the plastic combs, I have found the pages tended to come out of the combs, and it is a big heavy machine to pull out to use (which is why folks like the Bind-It-All - it's small and convenient).

I hope you try your hand at creating your own logbooks for your letterboxes - I love to find handmade logs in a letterbox! Below I have added some links if you want to check out some of the items I mentioned above.

Bind-It-All (be sure to check eBay - I saw cheaper prices there!)

Bind-It-All individual package of spiral wires (the dimensions needed are 2:1 pitch, 1/2" 24 loop O-wires)





2 comments:

jf_graham said...

What an awesome post! I always enjoy reading your blog. Thank you very much for the tutorial!☺

Many blessings,
Jacqueline
(The Letterbox Hunters)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reading!
SHH :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin