Monday, August 24, 2009

Product Review: The Wire Knife


Well, thanks to a dear letterboxer, I am now in possession of the mysterious Wire Knife (produced by none other than Kirbert). She was also nice enough to send me the drafting pencil to use as a holder so I could give it a try.

First of all, I spent a little time fiddling with the tape to get just the right amount to fit into the pencil properly. The trick is to build up the wire enough to fit into the holder. I used electrical tape, and it took a lot less than I thought to bulk up the wire enough to fit. Once I got the knife in place so it wouldn't wobble or move around, I was ready to give it a go. With a name like 'wire', I expected it to be much thinner, but in reality, it's not much thinner than the equine needles and would easily fit into my pin vise.

And the verdict is...I like it. Surprised?

Yeah, the cutting edge is straighter than the needles, however you use it in the same fashion. I had no trouble cutting and it was a bit easier to remove material, as I could cut a little deeper than with the needle without curving my line. I suspect the needles are just a bit sharper, but it's by such a minimal amount you probably will not be able to tell.

To try out this new tool in my arsenal, I chose to re-carve my return address stamp. All lettering was a real acid test, to be sure. But, I have to admit...I still reach for that gouge when I can't get it the way I like it. I guess you can't totally rehabilitate a staunch gouge-user!

So, thank you so much LunaSea - you're the best! Triple T has tried it out too, but I'm gonna let her tell everyone what she thinks about Kirbert's Wire Knife.

If you would like to try out one of Kirbert's Wire Knives, contact him through AQ. The cost is minimal, and it is definitely worth a try.

4 comments:

Ari C'rona said...

It does do a nice job, to be sure! I've been using it along with my gouge on my mandala stamp for all the little corners - I like it but need far more practice to feel proficient.

Thanks, LunaSea! :o)

Mama Cache said...

Slick!

Now I'm wanting some SHH-mail. ;-)

Bobguyman said...

Interesting... I might have to get one... hmmm...

Thanks SHH =)

~BOB~

YourBrother said...

The more I learn of your talents the more I can see why you are interested in Star Wars. "Impressive, most impressive!"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin