Monday, April 19, 2021

Tribute.

 

Carved with a Staedtler gouge on PZ Kut

It has been a bit over ten years ago that I carved this stamp of my mother when she passed. The sting of her unexpected passing has dulled with the years - so much has happened since she and I last spoke. I like to think that the last thing I said to her was I love you. Frankly, I am glad both my parents are not here to witness this pandemic and current political climate; I am sure it would have distressed them both deeply. They had enough trauma in their lives, as it was (but, that's another story). Anyway, last week marked 77 years since she was born.

Portraits, along with lettering, were always my favorites to carve. And, I learned a few things from the many I have carved:

1. Don't carve teeth - they never look realistic. Smiling portraits are the hardest, in my view, because you must deal with teeth and the lips. The trick is to think about where the light is hitting.

2. Hair is trickier than you think. 

3. Keep clothing details to a minimum - the face is the focal point, not what they are wearing.

4. I do not carve wrinkles - they will always be more prominent than you would like.

5. It is the carver's (and photographer's) responsibility to make the subject look good. Unless, of course, you want them to look a certain way, but you know what I mean.

6. Noses - less is more. I still think I over-emphasized the nose in Mom's portrait. I might do it differently today.

I always liked the idea of a portrait as a sig-stamp. Coming back to carving, I challenged myself to create a new portrait stamp. I quickly remembered all the things I listed above!

Carved with Flexcut tools on Firm Kut

Notice I didn't do anything with the teeth in this one, but the nose is more realistic. My hair is not quite that wavy, either. Sure enough, this carve is not perfect. But it was good practice. :) 

Prior to my mother's death, I immortalized one of the things she told me often:


Every time I write anything, I think of this. We all carry little bits of wisdom, and I suspect she learned this lesson the hard way. It has never stopped me from writing what is on my heart, but the reality of it has sometimes been not so pleasant.

So, happy birthday Mom. I still miss you deeply. 

While I was last out on the trail, I was thinking about what I would say if I had one more chance to speak with her. Would I tell her that she was right about so many things? How thankful I am to have Chuck in my life? How ironic it is that I live on the coast? All the wonderful things her grandchildren have accomplished and what amazing adults they have become? Maybe. But I think the better choice would be to just sit quietly and enjoy her presence one more time.


***


Postscript: Last week it was fitting to go find a traditional box I had planted around Mother's Day as a tribute to my mother about four years before her death. She loved to spend Mother's Day at a local park with her grandchildren, so I planted the box there. Amazingly, it is still there. 

I used an old VHS plastic case covered in camo-tape. Nope, it doesn't keep water out - that is what the zip-bags are for! Everything was well and good, I am happy to report! Perhaps it is still alive because it has not gotten many visitors - one finder noted it had sat unvisited for 7 years - that's a long time! I like to think it would make my mother smile.


3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

You are truly an amazing lady! Thank you for all that you share and love your beautiful artwork. You have inspired me to get back into carving.

Many blessings and have a wonderful week!

Fondly,
Jacqueline

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for the sweet comment! And I am thrilled that you are getting back to carving - that is wonderful!

Thank you so much for reading,
~SHH :-)

p.s. I would love to see your efforts ... we can inspire each other!

Anonymous said...

One of my "people regrets" in life is that I did not get to meet your mom. Interestingly, it doesn't feel like I didn't. You have let me see her through your eyes -- because you've done that so well, I can be content.


~MC

Blog Widget by LinkWithin