Wednesday, March 31, 2021

For my love.

 

Firm Kut, Archival Ink (coffee)

You may know that during the time I was away from letterboxing and carving, I was in school (and still am ... about a year to go!). But what you may not know is that during my undergrad years I studied away for a semester in Athens, Greece. It was one of the best choices I have ever made.

Since I was considered a 'non-traditional' student, I requested that my partner accompany me for the semester, which was granted. We were much older than the other students studying at College Year in Athens (CYA) who were mostly from affluent backgrounds and ritzy universities. But, that didn't bother us! While they were jet-setting around to see as many countries as possible on the weekends, Chuck and I hung out in Athens. We walked miles every day exploring, when I wasn't studying that is, and really lived as residents of Athens.

One of the things we enjoyed doing was going into the myriad of Greek Orthodox churches. They were usually open to the public, and anyone could go in to immerse themselves in the history and culture of medieval Christianity. It was a religion nerd's dream come true! The architecture and art was absolutely stunning. Our apartment in the Pangrati neighborhood was right across the street from a wonderful church that we were able to observe from our balcony. This was fabulous for impromptu ethnological observations, especially on holidays.

Of course, it was the iconography that was so enthralling. My religion prof told me it was because it was not you looking at the icons, but it was the saints looking at you from the 'other side.' Yes, that's right - all of those eyes don't just seem to be following you as you move through the church ... they really are watching you! At least that is what the faithful believe.

In our neighborhood, a local traditional iconographer had a small shop filled to the brim with icon art. We were taken with watching him work and would often stop to watch from the window. Finally, we stepped inside and bought a small icon to bring home. It is of the archangel Michael, done in the traditional style and method, with gold highlighting. It hangs in my office. Yes, he is watching me all the time! He helps me with those tough papers ... :)

Isn't this wonderful?
I hope you can see the traditional gold leaf.



ANYway, Chuck asked me to carve something for a letterbox idea he had ... and the above effort is what he envisioned. He found the image, and I did my thing. I just love her face - and in the original, she is looking directly at the viewer, in traditional fashion. But, in my carve, the blessed mother is not looking at you ... she is looking away, more like in a pieta (a form of art that features a sorrowful Mary and the grown, murdered Jesus). In a way it is a combination of an icon of mother and child and a lament of the coming suffering. That is just my twist - artist prerogative. :)

We have beautiful memories of our time in Greece. We also got to take a few field trips around the country, as well. We both miss it terribly at times, and have dreamed of moving there. The Greek people are warm and friendly when they get to know you, and they want to get to know you! We have friends there that I miss dearly. If you are interested in reading more about our experience, I kept a blog during the time we were there - A Semester in Athens. Maybe you would enjoy some vicarious travel right about now.

Athens, 2015

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin