Monday, June 8, 2009

M. C. Escher

A couple of carves inspired by Escher today. These were done a while back for a postal, and I know that there are a few carvers working on Escher currently. When looking at this interesting artist, I decided to go for some of his earlier work rather than the optical illusions for which he is so famous. I especially like this sweet drawing of a chrysanthemum.

(actual size 3.5" x 4")

Book plates are interesting. I was just asked to design a bookplate for a fellow letterboxer and it got my creative juices flowing...but, would I use a bookplate? I suppose if I was going to, it would have to be Star Wars-themed, because that is the majority of my library! lol! Just kidding...

Here is Escher's bookplate - I just love the vintage feel of it.

(actual size 2" x 2.5")

2 comments:

Mole said...

I never would have guessed Escher for the first -- showing my artistic ignorance, I suppose. They are both so well done.

Unknown said...

Escher was certainly a genius. It's sad that so much of his life was filled with darkness. And yet, one has to wonder if he would have been so inspired without it? So often, pain and beauty seem to go hand in hand.
S

Blog Widget by LinkWithin