Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Kotel

(actual size 2.25" x 3")

In honor of Tisha b'Av, here is my carve of antique artwork of the Kotel, or the Western Wall in Jerusalem. Carved quite a while ago for a postal, then traditional plant, I somehow ended up carving two of them. I don't really remember why, but as it turned out, I have one of them in my stamp drawer.

What? You are not familiar with Tisha b'Av?

Tisha B'Av
(Hebrew: תשעה באב‎ or ט׳ באב, "the Ninth of Av,") is an annual fast day in Judaism, named for the ninth day (Tisha) of the month of Av in the Hebrew calendar. It is a traditional fast that commemorates the destruction of the First and Second Temples in Jerusalem, which occurred about 656 years apart, but on the same date. Accordingly, the day has been called the "saddest day in Jewish history".

In our congregation, we will be meeting to read through the book of Lamentations and then we will take time to pray for Israel.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
"May they prosper who love you.
"May peace be within your walls,
And prosperity within your palaces."
For the sake of my brothers and my friends,
I will now say, "May peace be within you."
For the sake of the house of the LORD our God,
I will seek your good.
~Psalm 122:6-9

4 comments:

Stacy Christian said...

"If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill!" Psalm 137:5

Jerusalem is the hope of all nations, whether they know it or not.
S

Ari C'rona said...

Most excellent Psalm, my dear. I just love this carve. :o)

Bobguyman said...

Truly a beautiful work of art! Very well done =D

~BOB~

Tee McNeil Art said...

Is it terrible that I saw it and was excited that it looked like a squished penny? I love squished pennies if it's any consolation!

It's beautiful!

Tee

Blog Widget by LinkWithin