Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Rabbit Named Peter

Peter Rabbit LTC

I've always loved the Beatrix Potter story of Peter Rabbit*. My grandmother, of blessed memory, always would read this story to me at bedtime when I stayed over night at her house oh-so-long ago. I can still hear her voice starting the story, "Once upon a time there were four little rabbits, and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter..." She would ask me periodically if I wanted to hear another story, but the answer was always the same, "I want to hear Peter Rabbit, Grandma."

I now am in possession of the actual book she would read to me. It is a valued book in my library and takes the place of honor on a decorative plate rack on the wall. I have warm feelings everytime I glance at the book. This particular publishing of the story did not use the famous illustrations of Beatrix Potter, but used the artwork of another gentleman by the name of Robert J. Lee. They are all so familiar to me...


This Whitman "Big Tell-a-Tale" version was published in 1966, just a year after I was born. In looking at the pages, I was fascinated by his use of lines and color. I really liked this potted plant because of the flow of the vines and leaves. It was in Mr. McGregor's tool shed, where Peter ran to hide from that frustrated farmer.


Here's poor Peter hiding in the watering can. I just loved the texture of his little hat and the interesting design of the flowers presumeably painted as decoration on the watering can.


But, you can't really do anything having to do with Beatrix Potter without actually giving a nod towards her outstanding artwork, can you? For the back of my contribution to the Children's Book swap, I added this sweet little image of Peter squeezing under the Mr. McGregor's garden gate.

"I'm sorry to say that Peter was not very well during the evening.

His mother put him to bed and made some camomile tea, and she gave a dose of it to Peter!

"One tablespoonful to be taken at bedtime."

But Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper."

*Peter Rabbit made his first appearance in 1902 in Beatrix Potter's first book The Tale of Peter Rabbit.

3 comments:

Ari C'rona said...

Sweet! I love this one, too! It reminds me of the movie "Miss Potter" - she was a pretty amazing woman for her time. :o)

Stacy Christian said...

My favs are Mrs. Tiggywinkle and Squirrel Nutkin. I have another book illustrated by Robert J. Lee somewhere, I think. Hmm...
That watering can is wonderful.
S

Mama Cache said...

Big fan of Miss Potter.
Big fan of you, too. ;-)

I didn't know that was two stamps on the LTC. You are so creative with our stamp combinations.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin