Friday, March 12, 2021

What a day.



I am overwhelmingly grateful this morning. With a simple social media post on the AQ Letterboxing group page, I received an infusion of kindness, friendship, and belonging. Boy, did I need that! Old 'boxing friends gave warm welcomes and yet-to-be friends posted to say hello. Sweet and funny remembrances filled my day when I realized all that I had walked away from when my path took a sharp left turn away from the AQ community. Facebook is not my most favorite place - kind of a love-hate relationship - but yesterday it hosted an amazing affirmation that now is the right time to get back into the hobby. I really was not aware, until yesterday, how much I missed my letterboxing family.

I was rather saddened to hear that there is only a handful of Washington boxers still active. That only means we will be trekking down to Oregon to hunt (and plant) more often. This fact does not hurt my feelings :) 

So, that begs the question, again - how does a hobby get re-invigorated? 

When I came into the hobby, it was through a group of friends who had read an article about a little known pastime called letterboxing in a homeschooling publication. I took to it like a fish to water, expanding beyond simply dragging my kids to find Adventure Seeker boxes into planting my own creations, postal letterboxes, and then happily drowning in the wonderful world of LTCs. I was truly a carver at heart, and anything that gave me the opportunity to carve another stamp worked for me. So, does someone need to publish another article? If so, where?

But, that original article was published in another time. Not sure how many people are interested in homeschooling these days, and much less, if they are looking for interesting ways to get their students out into a crafty-hunting-type hobby. Life is just too complicated right now, with the pandemic, remote learning, divided society, and the pressures of essential workers, unemployment or underemployment, and trying to stay safe and healthy. I can only imagine that folks, who may have been interested in the hobby in less-stressful times, now are preoccupied with simply keeping things together, much less adding additional 'stuff.' Gosh, it has been a long-slog of a year. I am unsure that another article, easily lost in the fray, would make the splash the original article did more than a decade ago.

But, I have hope. Yesterday reenergized me and reignited a creative spark. I started thinking about what to carve, where to plant, events to attend, travel to plan - oh, so much life to be lived. So much - and so many people - to enjoy, appreciate, and share. I look forward to a time when we can relax and enjoy each others' company without political prejudices or implicit distrust. We can make that happen, I am sure of it. May that time come soon.

Obimaster on the hunt!

So, what will it take for others to want to join in ... or get back into the hobby?

I have no answers, but I noticed I was not the only one posting on the AQ boards after a long hiatus. Maybe that happens frequently, and I was unaware, but I am happy to think that as things open back up, people may want to get back into the pool. To play again. To create anew. 

Yeah, yesterday was a day. And for now I am basking in that lovely, affirming, heart-warming, beautiful day. And I am grateful.

Dear reader, thank you. 





5 comments:

Wassamatta_U said...

Huzzah!!!!
Welcome back... you have been missed, I can assure you. Every May 4th, when your picture pops up in the "May the 4th Be With You" AQ theme, I reflect on how much artistry, warmth, and just plain JOY you brought to the community and to the hobby. It does heart good to see you re-emerge, and I am thrilled you are reconnecting with your long-lost friends.

Again.. welcome back!
-Wassa

Anonymous said...

So nice to have you back in our community :) and love that you are blogging again!!
Take care, Lotus

Unknown said...

I am back too! I dragged my husband and now he is interested!

Unknown said...

Dale End Farm aka Diana

Unknown said...

I am back too! I dragged my husband and now he is interested!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin