Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Yellow Stazon.


Q: "I am interested in the use of Stazon to set the toner. You say you "tapped" the ink over the image. Can you explain further? Thank you!"

Yes, and thank you for the question!

This has to be one of the best tips I have received since I have returned to 'boxing - maybe even since I began carving so long ago. I have used this technique now for parchment transfer as well as pencil transfer. The contrast is somehow such that I can get more precise carving than when I don't use it.

It is simple: after transferring your image to the carving material, simply tap the ink pad over the entire image. I roughly 'cut out' the image from the larger piece of material I am using to ensure I only ink the image I want to carve, not material I may wish to use later. Once you give it a go, you will understand 'tapping' - gently applying a thin layer of ink to the image. I am careful not to apply too much ink because it will take a bit longer to dry. Then, after tapping ink all over the image, I set it aside and let it dry. This only take a short time - no more than 30 minutes, for sure, and more than likely much less. Then it is ready to carve.

I hope that helps explain the use of yellow Stazon ink for carving - for me, it really makes the transferred lines/shapes pop to accommodate more precise carving.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin