Saturday, August 13, 2022

An ode to summer.

I live on the coast of the state of Washington, just a few blocks from the Pacific Ocean. The weather here is, more often than not, overcast grey and drizzly. When it is not grey and drizzly, it is grey and raining, frequently sideways. In the winter the temperatures hover in the mid-40s, and the rest of the year they average in the low 60s. Hitting 65 degrees is balmy goodness for us, and anything higher is a boon (which means I can actually wear something other than fleece). It is not like we don't have wonderfully fantastic days of sunshine, usually for a few sporadic days in March and October - and when we do, it is glorious indeed! But we also have what is affectionately called 'Faugust'; a phenomenon that occurs when rising temperatures inland collide with the cool temperature of the Pacific and cause condensation in the form of a blowing fog that socks us in. So when most are enjoying clear, sunny days, we are swimming in a soup of (albeit) warmer, grey mist. Such is life on the coast. And yes, I signed up for it.

That circumstance may be why I love summer so much. I am a native Western Washingtonian, and this area is definitely known as being frequently rainy, especially in fall, winter, and spring (!!). I am forever itching to get in the car and 'chase the sun,' which usually means at least a couple hours away from home. In contemplating this insistent need for the sunshine, I have concluded and observed that I crave the energy I get from being in the direct sun. Just waking to the sun shining in my bedroom window influences my mood and energy level. I crave the energy that comes from the glorious sun, without doubt. When I don't get enough I tend to sink into a grey pit of malaise that is hard to shake.

With that explanation, this is my ode to summer, the season I love best. I have always loved summer - the running barefoot in the grass, the bright colors of flowers, the sound of the warm breeze through the green leaves, and the smell of hot pavement. The fascination of watching water evaporate on the cement after I emerged dripping from our cheapy swimming pool as a kid, chasing after the popsicle man, and riding bikes until the sun was gone. As a young woman I loved hitting the lake with my friends, living in a swimsuit all day, and reveling in the summer festivals thronging with people. Always with the ever-present smell of coconut suntan oil in the air. I love sunglass-wearing, music-playing, cruising with the windows down, flip-flop summer fun. 

And I love boxing in the summer. All the parks are open. The trails are dry. I can stamp-in without worrying about my logbook getting dappled with rain, bringing something to put down on the ground to protect my stuff, or wrangling with an umbrella (used more for covering the logbooks than us). I don't have to wear rain gear or worry about slogging through slippery, thick mud and puddles. I don't have to get soaked and mucky digging for a box among wet trees and underbrush - it is not 'duff' around here, it is wet, mildewed moss and soggy dirt. (I am not complaining, just stating what it is like to box here from November through late February, which I still do despite the wetness.)

Boxing in summer here is fantastic. In summer all the trees are full and green. The trails are dappled with sunlight, and the birds are everywhere. I can leave my house with only one layer of clothing instead of three or more. People emerge from their houses to be more social and seem happier, taking taking time with their families to picnic, recreate, or just hang out in a park (there are definitely more muggles around in summer, for sure). Since we get so much rain in the other parts of the year, summer is our time to get outside and soak it up. And I think we do it here more than other places - I was taught that when the sun is shining, you need to take advantage of it while you can because tomorrow will be cloudy.

And that is why I love summer. I understand it is different in other parts of the country or world. I don't know how I would feel if it were 90-100 degrees everyday for months on end. I am sure I would not appreciate the not-so-fun things about summer in other places: the lack of humidity or overabundance of it, bugs, leeching critters or parasites, stagnant air and living in air-conditioning, or the sticky, stifling temperatures. I empathize with that plight, and have been known to say that some parts of the country are not 'fit for human thriving' - in some places it would seem the environment is trying to attack you when you are simply trying to cool off in a lake or hike on a trail. Seriously, I wouldn't know how to avoid snakes, spiders, ticks, fire ants, red bugs, and other biting/stinging creatures that make their home in the warmer areas of our country. So, I get it. Further, in those warmer climes, the winters can be so different from the grey, rainy winters here on the 'wet side' of Washington. Sunny, snowy days must be fantastic, and cool fall hikes must feel like heaven to those experiencing months of blistering, killing heat. I get it all, I do.

But for me, my love of summer will never fade. I lament its end and long for it to return. And I can't be the only one.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin