Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Old Growth.


This has to be one of the most beautiful old growth forests I have ever been in. It was breathtaking - pictures simply cannot do it justice. Especially in the green lushness of summer with the sunshine illuminating the moss-covered cedar limbs and kissing the carpet of oxalis. I will say it again: breathtaking.


There were a few boxes in this fantastic natural area, and because of the serene beauty, I didn't mind going back to the trailhead to follow each new set of clues. In fact, I preferred that to any other method, if only to spend more time immersed in the forest coolness. (We were actually pretty surprised when we emerged into 85 degree heat!)


Obimaster's first carve - that sweet Snoopy - graced every logbook we found on our two-day adventure in Battle Ground, just north of Vancouver. We were lucky enough to find almost 20 boxes without distraction. A rare treat, indeed.


Isn't this sweet? A Gnome home ... and look, Obimaster found him!
They had a lovely chat.


You never know what you will find while you are letterboxing.


I wish I could have bottled up what this trail smelled like. Since that is impossible, I guess we will have to go back to experience it again. Definitely worth another visit.


Each tree was grand, every one whispering its secrets just out of earshot. I loved just laying my hand upon their sturdy trunks and admiring the deep texture of their bark. I cannot express how much trees speak to my heart. They manifest patience and resilience, of flexibility and steadfastness... of spreading their roots deep into rich soil and offering shade and rest to all who come near. Even in decomposition, they continue to give and support life. When I am in the company of trees, I find myself taking a deep breath of their scent into my soul - it feeds me somehow. Trees display their own unique beauty and splendor, not by comparison or competition but with authenticity and determination. How can I not learn from that?

After traversing this and other trails multiple times, and going from one end of the town to the other and back again in search of little bits of artwork and creativity, we wore ourselves out. 
A little refreshment was in order.

you must try Margarita Factory - so good!

Ok, so that was a LOT of refreshment - LOL! So worth it, though :)

That is the smile of a successful and happy letterboxer - it brings me joy!
We will certainly go back to discover more gems hidden in Battle Ground - it was so much fun.
I am so grateful for times such as this.

3 comments:

Neet said...

Your thoughts af trees are expressed so well. I feel the same way. Thank you

Webfoot said...

That sounds like a pretty perfect day! I enjoyed the story of your adventures. :)

Unknown said...

It is a lush area. Glad you enjoyed it. AND THE GNOME!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin