Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Where have I been?

Well, the next chapter has officially begun - I have taken a position as a mental health professional with a local mental health care clinic part-time. I even get an office! I have been doing all the necessary things: putting together a wardrobe and thinking about all the practical items one needs to be working away from home 20 hours a week. Lunch preparation, the necessary coffee, and the commute. It has been a bit bumpy given I have not been in the workforce for 28+ years (that is an understatement!). I have set up my office, undergone 50-ish hours of online training, and struggled with simply fitting in. BUT, I sincerely believe this is a good thing! Not only for the paycheck, but also the privilege of working in my chosen field. Ultimately, I am a helper.

But here is what is interesting. I was so worried about not being able to secure a job after graduation. On top of that was all the anxiety of having to conduct a job search and put together an appropriate resume (with all the necessary verbiage required for the screening algorithms). And let's just not talk about the interview - always a stressful experience! Well, here is how it went down:

One day I was doomscrolling on my not-always-favorite social media feed and I made, what I thought was, an obvious statement about how 'compassion was required for civil society' on a local chat page. I didn't think anything more about it and continued on with my scrolling. But, someone was watching - it happened to be the CEO of a local community mental health clinic. He replied to my comment with "you should come work for me." Rather startled, and very skeptical, I replied to his comment. This led to a private and short conversation about how I should contact his HR person. After making sure it was a real company, and much to my amazement in myself, I did that. I had a lovely, frank conversation with a very nice woman who not only screened me, but then encouraged me to stop in and introduce myself to my now administrative supervisor. Again, not too confident it was going to lead anywhere, I took the next step.

Thinking it was going to be a simple "Hi, I'm Liz" type of affair, I impulsively stopped by the next time I was close to the office. Unfortunately, I was not dressed for an interview - I really thought it was just a casual introduction. So, in sweats and a messy-bun, I stopped in. Thinking I was a client, my now supervisor was surprised, but still took me to a conference room to chat. At that point I realized my mistake! But, he was honest and sincere about the company and the position, and really wanted to make sure I wanted to enter the field (it can break your heart; after all, it is mental health in a economically depressed, old mill-town) - which I greatly appreciated.

I agreed to send him my resume and then filled out more paperwork. Then came the real interview with the clinical director of the company, which went amazingly well! And yes, I was dressed appropriately. And then, another appointment at another office and a pile of paperwork. The whole process took more than 2 months (mostly because of our summer roadtrip), but here I am. And right now I can say I am right where I need to be! I am delighted with all the people I have been working with, and they are accepting me into the fold. I hope they like me as much as I like them :)

I feel most fortunate. First, for a position for which I think I am really well-suited, and for the fact that I was 'discovered' on social media. And with no particular effort on my part! Well, I guess all my effort went into my schooling, which will be of great benefit, without question.

So, that's it, that is where I have been. In the midst of all that, Obimaster and I are preparing to attend the HP letterboxing event in Boise - the first I have been to since Kuku's Birthday Bash event in November, 2010 (which was an awesome event, btw!), and Obimaster's first event ever. I have a created a new personal traveler and a tabletop box to contribute to the HP fun!! Look for pics and debrief when we return.

Here are a few peeks at my new digs. May it be the beginning of a beautiful chapter.

Wow ... a real office

some gifts from home
to help keep me grounded


these seemed appropriate ... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a culmination of so many things -- I hardly know how to congratulate you big enough!

Here's to you as you help...

Much love,
MC ;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin