Saturday, October 1, 2022

The question of logbooks.

The first one I found was near The Dalles, Oregon - the cutest little stamp just laying out in the open. It was tightly glued to one of the many rocks it was positioned with - and amazingly, it had been there quite a while. The clue stated clearly that it had no accompanying logbook, but I was keen to nab it anyway. How very clever, I thought. But then the question started to niggle: Could it really be considered a letterbox if there was no logbook to stamp into?

The next one I came across, not too many months after, stated in the clue that the letterbox listed didn't have a logbook 'out of convenience.' The question popped up again: Is the process of stamping into a letterbox logbook an 'inconvenience'? I guess sometimes it could be, especially if the weather is uncomfortable or if there are muggles approaching. The lack of logbook surely didn't stop us from recording the find, but I missed stamping my beloved sig-stamp in the logbook. In the spirit of full disclosure, I have an active letterbox series around my town that starts with a traditional box complete with a logbook, but all the rest of the dependent stamps in the series do not; and yet, each of the found stamps count as a traditional find. 

Somewhere in the back of my mind there are echoes of discussions on this topic from long ago. It would seem to me that 'purists' would insist there be a logbook, even going so far to say that it couldn't be considered a letterbox if the logbook was unstampable (too full or too wet to stamp into) or missing. On the other end of the spectrum, there would be those that would accept any intended letterbox as a find regardless of the presence of logbook, box, or sometimes, even the stamp (no, really - if you find the remnants of the box but no stamp, is that still a find? The searcher technically 'found' the location and box, right?). So, what constitutes a letterbox?

I am positive every letterboxer has a ready opinion on the matter. I often think of that old motto of the Australian restaurant franchise Outback - no rules, just right. This sentiment would indicate that clues can be constructed any way the planter sees fit, with any type of container (or none), and without limitations on where a letterbox can be placed (except within National Parks, and I have even heard that some proudly ignore that, as well). 

One could argue that since letterboxing originated in Dartmoor, perhaps that is where we could find the definitive answer about what constitutes a letterbox. "Participants, or Letterboxers, search the Tors and valleys for the hidden treasure, either following clues or simply searching under rocks. A Dartmoor Letterbox is a container – typically a durable plastic box – containing a rubber stamp, a copy of which is taken for the collection, journal, or scrapbook. Also inside is a visitor’s book – where a Letterboxer can leave their mark, usually in the form of a ‘personal’ stamp to prove the visit." Apparently, leaving one's signature stamp is the evidence of the find, at least according to this point of view.

But hobbies and traditions change over time to meet the dynamic needs of its participants, and we have certainly seen a lot of changes in letterboxing, especially here in the U.S. Postals, LTCs, event boxes, personal travelers, hitchhikers, cooties, and many other imaginative ways of clue-writing and stamping have changed the face of letterboxing over the years since it seeped over to our country. I dimly remember some letterboxers were rather put out when Ryan presented a way to digitally record finds - pure blasphemy, they complained. For them, one's logbook was private information not to be shared, and certainly not emblazoned across the internet for anyone to see. As a matter of fact, I just had a clue in my hand where the planter requested a finder not list or mention the find on any digital platform, but to contact them personally, via email, to report on the condition of the box. So be it.

I say, to each their own. No rules, just right, as it were. Ultimately, letterboxing is a game, and if the game becomes 'unfun' due to nit-picking and rigid policing, why continue to play? And that may be the answer to my question of logbooks: What constitutes a legitimate letterbox or find is determined by the planter and/or finder. I have been known to sneak a logbook into a box without one on the trail, but that was just me being snarky, I guess. Maybe I simply wanted to share our siggy; I know in our little group, part of the pleasure of finding a box is seeing all those who have stamped in before us. It provides a sense of community and sharing experience. But, at the same time, we just found a fun little stamp stuck to the bottom of a picnic table - with no logbook or container - that thrilled me with its clever clue and placement. So, there it is: it is all good as long as it's fun, legal, and doesn't hurt anyone. Each planter and finder can determine how they want to play the game.

Often, bending rules can spark inspiration. On the way home from our boxing adventure yesterday, Obimaster and I cooked up a new series that I am anxious to put into play. Yes, there will be a logbook for the series, but, well, I guess finders will just have to see how it unfolds. It stretches the boundaries of the Dartmoor definition, but it does follow the rules of being unexpected, sneaky, legal, and fun. 

ready for the hunt!


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin