Sunday, December 4, 2022

Leaning in.

"Traditionally, the term 'lean-in' has been used in the context of sports to mean 'to shift one’s body weight forward or toward someone or something.' In water and snow sports, you can lean into a wave, the wind, a slope, or a turn. You can lean into a pitch, or throw, or catch as well." Well, that is what dictionary.com says, anyway. Even though the term is a little faddish (overused perhaps?), and is sometimes meant to encourage women to embrace and rise to the many challenges faced in the business sector ... as if we don't already - and often in heels! Regardless, I like the visual connotation it evokes. Leaning towards the circumstances with awareness, acceptance, and willingness to engage. 

I think 'lean in' fits what is happening in my life right now. Instead of spending time out and about with loved ones devoting time to our hobby, I am working three days a week (10-hour days, no less). I also have made the lifestyle-altering decision to take the necessary classes to earn a professional certificate. Juggling all that is a challenge for me and our family. I am 'leaning in' to the awareness, acceptance, and willingness to engage in a work environment, giving my all to the clients that come my way, preparing to start class again, and keep up with family responsibilities. That's a lotta leanin'!

That is the story for so many of us, I have no doubt. With all that, along with the change of season, has left me runnin' on empty. The change from warm, lengthy days of bright sunshine and carefree road trips has morphed into the continual sound of the furnace, bundling up in many (often restrictive) layers of clothing, scraping ice from windshields, and driving to and from work in the dark. I seem to have lost my letterboxing footing somehow. I keep meaning to get back at the carving desk, but it hasn't happened yet.

Our last outing was great, though. In the presence of the spectacular fall color, Samsonite and I snuck out to try our luck boxing in the Gresham area. We had some luck, but had more fun planting little unconventional 'boxes' around the area. As winter approaches, we have hunkered down rather than brave the wind and rain to slog on muddy, sometimes flooded, slippery trails, and dig in moldy, icy-cold dead leaves and duff for hidden treasures. Maybe I am just getting too old and whiney. *shrug*

Fall colors are hard to beat.

This was an awesome mash-up of 
two of my favorite things: Little Free Libraries
and letterboxing - delish!

We decided to take a side trip to The Dalles - a place near
to my heart. This was taken at the wonderful
Columbia Gorge Discovery Center.

What a grand tree - even as it loses its beautiful foliage.

One of my favorites.

We stopped in at a kitschy local coffee & pizza shop
that I would definitely recommend.

This gives me hope in humanity :)

It was a fun trip, and we even got some sunshine. Troutdale was pretty windy and cold, but Edgefield - McMenamin's was on point (as usual). At home, the migratory diving ducks have returned, and we even have a never-before-seen-by-me visitor hangin' out at our feeder rather regularly.

Welcome back, Ring-necked Ducks! They spend the 
winter with us here in Ocean Shores, and head elsewhere
for the summer.

Hello!

I believe this is a Scrubjay - beautiful blue!

As I wrap up my second Year of Giving participation, and impulsively decide to add my name to Damselfly's Sock-Swap, I am hoping to 'lean in' to more carving time. I have several more Pocket Treasures to hide, a RD TRP box to recarve and replant, and a handful of exquisite Native American art-inspired animal stamps to tackle. The laser printer-acetone method is working like a charm for me - it is a dream come true! And, as always, I am looking forward to the warmer weather. You, too?

Happy holidays and keep warm, my friends!

4 comments:

Familyman said...

Enjoyed the post! Also love the Little Free Library's -- great idea to put a letterbox there, too.

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Thanks for reading, Familyman! There *may* be something to find other than books in my LFL, as well!

SHH :)

Jacqueline said...

Good afternoon Liz,

I absolutely "LOVE" your blog posts!! Each time that you announce regarding your blog posts on Atlas Quest (FB), I find it a joy....because reading your beautiful thoughts and experiences is always a treat for me! You have truly encouraged me to get back into carving again. Thanks for also sharing the awesome birds that you see. Birding is one of my faves!

Take care and many blessings to you and family!♥

Warmly,
Jacqueline

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Hi Jacqueline!

Thank you! I am thrilled I have inspired you to get back into carving - it is definitely a love of mine! I would love to see your efforts :) Thank you for reading and commenting. Your thoughts mean the world to me!

Warmly,
Liz / SHH :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin