Friday, December 16, 2022

Winter wandering.

Today, here on the Pacific Coast, the mostly clear icy-blue sky is visible in all directions. The weak sun is reflecting on the gently rippling Grand Canal, only interrupted by the occasional diving duck. It looks like winter - it feels like winter, but 

"calendars across the Northern Hemisphere say winter will begin on Dec. 21, but for meteorologists, the start of the season happens three weeks earlier on Dec. 1. The reason behind the discrepancy is that weather experts follow what’s called meteorological seasons, while others use the astronomical calendar to signify the change. Meteorologists and climatologists break down the seasons based on when temperatures typically change, not the status of Earth’s rotation." (source

Well, the trails are mucky and my freezing fingers fumble trying to find a box under that infamous 'duff,' which around here consists of slimy leaves, sopping moss, and dirt. Ah, the joys of winter boxing in the PNW! Actually, I haven't traditionally boxed for a bit (not counting the sporadic planting), but have been doing more holiday-themed projects.

I decided, at the last minute, to jump into this year's Sock Swap (thanks Damselfly for hosting!) and it was a joy to send fun socks to a long-time boxer from the East Coast I recently had the pleasure of meeting - Sherlock Miles. Since we both attended the amazing Harry Potter-themed Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon event, hosted by Music Chick, I knew my choice of HP socks would be perfect! I set out to carve a couple of stamps to embellish my humble gift.

this was the transfer - yes, I am still in LOVE
with the laser ink-acetone transfer method!

aren't those socks perfect for the swap?

Another project that involved some running around was my part in the office's annual Secret Santa gift exchange. Honestly, I am kind of a 'ba-humbug' type, but it has been fun to put this together. Come to think of it - I am not sure I have ever done a Secret Santa thing before! I included candy, popcorn, an ornament, more candy, a candle, therapy dough and aromatic mist, a restaurant gift card, a Zox wristband, a coffee gift card, and a Squishmellow (not shown). Cuz, who doesn't need a Squishmellow? The one I added is a chocolate bar - so fun! My person is a Mobile Crisis Team angel and deserves to feel special - I do hope she feels the love :)

oops ... I think I exceeded the spending recommendation :(

yep, I even dug out the two holiday-themed
stamps from my stash for the tag

And finally, last weekend Obimaster and I ran away to the Oregon Coast - my favorite escape from reality. I'll drop a few pics of our rainy weekend. It was absolutely delightful; I filled my self-care 'cup' with moments of calm, gratitude, companionship, and peace. But, alas, no finding of hidden treasures. We did manage to plant one though, which is good.

our upgraded peek-a-boo view - thanks, Best Western!

Camp 18 is an old logging camp turned 
touristy restaurant constructed with some of the biggest
timbers you have ever seen in a building

they serve a decent breakfast ... and this
little guy thinks so, too

We ambled through the shops in Cannon Beach, and
I couldn't resist a snap of these glorious colors

me 'n my love - I am not sure if the masks were
more protective of the plague or the cold!

gosh, the water was so high at Cannon -
don't think I have seen it that high before

the roundabout at Seaside in winter dusk is simply magical

on the Prom

sometimes I manage the perfect snap :)

here we are sans masks
(dang reflections!)

Seaside was so moody - so good for the soul

So, how's that for a meandering winter wander? From carving to shopping, to escaping for the weekend ... I sure hope you are making the most of your winter wanderings, as well. 


Wishing you the happiest of holiday seasons 
from the Pacific Northwest!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love to "watch" you meander. What a myriad of "feels" you've shared!

Hugs,
MC

Jacqueline said...

What a beautiful post! I enjoyed reading it and seeing photos of you and the Love of your life having fun viewing such awesome nature! You both are so adorable!!♥

Thanks for sharing your transfers using the acetate method. Love how the carvings turned out! Tell me....how in the name of heaven and earth do you do such epic font carvings??! You are absolutely amazing!!!

Fondly,
Jacqueline

Blog Widget by LinkWithin